Friday, January 23, 2009

Someday, when I grow up in the blogging word, I want to be Kelly. She's not only an incredible writer, woman of God, and creative genius, but she's thoughtful to us obscure, flaying bloggers who are trying to find our way and voice. When I posted my two attempts of writing from last year, she posted some of her thoughts as a comment, and from there, we rapidly exchanged email after email dissecting my puny little story idea until she boldy and yet, graciously, said,

"Do you think the reason you don't love your story is because you don't quite love your characters yet? I feel like you're putting them in there because they get you where you want to go, but you don't really know them, their idiosyncrasies, what is behind their actions or reactions, what makes them tick."

Um, wow. Yes, she's probably right. I won't bore you with the details, but her honesty has helped me redefine what I want to write in the first place. This year, I hope to find that out in some way--between the laundry, the dirty diapers, the late nights working, the routines made, and the most boring of tasks.

This weekend, the very talented Kelly is hosting a contest over at her site. Enter to win one of her gorgeous prints or a redesigned blogheader of your very own!

And lastly, I realize I'm so guilty of not posting my most inspiring piece of work, my daughter. I plan on doing that more this year, too.

2 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

Awh! Alison, this is one of the sweetest, most affirming gifts of encouragement I have ever received! Thank you so much for your kind words!

*LOTS of warm fuzzies!*

I'm looking forward to getting to know you more. Thanks for letting me in!

Jill said...

I love that little curly headed girl- she's so cute- and you can do it with the writing- remember the theme for '09 is "Yes you can!"